May is Healthy Vision Month
Eyetician helps glasses wearers find the right eyewear at affordable prices. We believe your glasses should not only help you see better but look great too. That’s why we offer one of the largest selections of online eyewear in styles that are on-trend and comfortable.
When choosing a pair of glasses, it’s important to choose a frame and lens that fits your individual vision needs. Protecting your vision begins with following a few simple steps to keep your eyes and body healthy.
According to the Centres for Disease Control people with vision problems are more likely to suffer from additional health concerns including:
- Poor hearing
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Lower back pain
Vision problems are also more likely to cause falls and injury.
When Should I Get An Eye Exam?
Adults should get regular eye exams based on their vision health and age. It is recommended that adults over the age of 18 get eye exams every two years to ensure good eye health and update any prescription adjustments.
Older adults should get an eye exam every year to monitor age-onset eye conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration. Your eye care provider has the optical tools that let them explore deeper into the eye to catch eye health issues that can’t be seen by looking in the mirror.
When Should Children Start Getting An Eye Exam?
Good vision health begins at a young age. Children need to begin seeing an eye doctor in their toddler years. If you suspect a vision issue in infancy, consult with your physician or eye care specialist.
Many vision problems in children can be misdiagnosed as clumsiness, attention deficit hyperactive disorder, and bad behavior when in fact the child is suffering from vision problems.
Early eye exams can also help diagnose conditions such as:
- Strabismus: When the eyes do not properly align giving the appearance of being ‘cross-eyed’.
- Chalazion: Clogs in the tear ducts that can cause swelling, irritation, and pain.
- Amblyopia: Also referred to as Lazy Eye. Amblyopia occurs when the brain fails to process inputs from one eye and begins to favour the other.
These and other eye conditions can often be treated and prevent more severe eye damage later in life. By taking your child for regular eye exams, you are taking the right steps towards ensuring good lifelong eye care habits.
How Can I Prevent Eye Health Issues?
Taking care of your eyes is important and there are simple steps you can take to keep your health healthy. Though not all eye conditions can be prevented, following these guidelines can ensure you are doing everything you can to protect your eyes.
- Get a regular eye exam: Any eye exam is the first step to identifying serious eye conditions. Follow a regular exam schedule based on your age and health to ensure you catch any potential health issues early.
- Know your family history. Many eye conditions are hereditary. By taking the time to learn your family history, you may be able to prevent eye problems or identify them earlier.
- Eat a healthy diet. You are what you eat. So make sure you are putting healthy food into your body. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids can help maintain good overall eye health and lessen your chances of developing eye disease.
- Protect your eyes from UV light. Wear sun protection with 100% ultraviolet light protection whenever you are outdoors and don’t forget to take breaks when on the computer. Harmful blue light can cause eye strain leaving your eyes dry, irritated, and sore.
- Don’t smoke. Smoke can cause lifelong health issues including damaging your eyes. Consult your doctor about quitting today.
Choosing The Right Pair of Glasses
If you need glasses, it’s important to choose the right pair of glasses for your prescription. Eyetician offers state-of-the-art lens technology designed to help you see better.
- Single Vision
- Blue Light Blocking
- Sun Protection
Don’t forget frame comfort is just as important and lens technology. Choose a frame that fits your face and doesn’t cause pain or pressure. Our collection of spring-hinged frames give you the best fit paired with fresh styles you will love.
Sign up for our newsletter and get 25% off your first order.